History of Lakhimpur

LakhimpurAn administrative district in the state of Assam, the Lakhimpur district is situated at the northeast corner of Assam. The district headquarters are located in North Lakhimpur. To the north of the district lies Siang and Papumpare district of Arunachal Pradesh, to the east lie Dhemaji district and the Subansiri River, to the southern side of the district lies Majuli Sub Division of Jorhat District and to the west of the district is the Gahpur sub division of Sonitpur District.

Significance of name Lakhimpur

The name of the place Lakhimpur has been derived from two words “Lakshmi” and “Pur”. ‘Lakshmi’ in Assamese is the Goddess of wealth and prosperity (paddy is also locally regarded as Lakshmi as the region is totally dependent on agriculture and paddy) while ‘Pur’ means ‘full’. Therefore the word Lakhimpur means a place full of paddy or a place where paddies are grown abundantly.

Historical Past of Lakhimpur

Lakhimpur is taken as the first place where the invaders from the East first stepped in the Brahmaputra. During those times Sutiya, a Shan race, drove out the Baro Bhuyans who were originally from the western provinces of India and these in their turn gave place to their more powerful brethren, the Ahoms in the 13th century. Under the Treaty of Yandaboo the British expelled the Burmese, who had ruined the native kingdoms at the end of the 18th century, in 1826. They placed the southern part of the state, along with Sivasagar, under the rule of Raja Purandhar Singh, however, it was not till 1838 that the whole was taken under direct British administration.

During those times the Lakhimpur district used to have several other districts of Arunachal Pradesh within its fold and was then known as the Lakhimpur Frontier Tract. Later after the independence of India the district contained the present day Dibrugarh district, Dhemaji district and Tinsukia district and the headquarters of the district was located in Dibrugarh. In the year 1976, the Dibrugarh district was separated from Lakhimpur. This was further repeated on October 14, 1989, when Dhemaji was formed into a new district. Finally Tinsukia was made into a separate district and then Lakhimpur district was made an independent district. In the year 1989 Lakhimpur district was recognized with two subdivisions namely Dhakuakhana and North Lakhimpur. 

The Lakhimpur district was earlier called “Koliapani” as there was practically no road communication to the district till 1950.  Later the temporary aerodrome was started here in the year 1954. Eventually with time transport started to develop in the district and from 1957 Assam State Transport Corporation buses started plying from Lakhimpur. The North East Frontier Railway started train services from 1963.

Presently, Lakhimpur is a district with its headquarters located in North Lakhimpur. North Lakhimpur is also the name of the town. There are at present four Assam Legislative Assembly Constituencies here namely Lakhimpur, Dhakuakhana, Bihpuria, and Naobaicha.

2364
  • SHARE THIS
  • TWEET THIS
  • SHARE THIS
  • COMMENT
  • LOVE THIS 0
  • E-mail

Comments / Discussion Board - History of Lakhimpur

Loader
  • N
    Nabin Saikia from North Lakhimpur 304 Days ago

    nabinjtsaikia@gmail.com

    2 2
    Report Abuse
    Reply